Facebook Shimmer ( Facebook Loading Effect)
Shimmer is an Android library that provides an easy way to add a shimmer effect to any view in your Android app.
It is useful as an unobtrusive loading indicator, and was originally developed for Facebook Home.
Example of facebook app using shimmer effect.
Placing any content on shimmer layout gives it a shimmer effect.
...(your complex view here)...
Needs to use javacode for manually starting shimmer animation. If autostart property is set to true, then it will start automatically.
ShimmerFrameLayout container =
container.startShimmer(); // If auto-start is set to false
- Auto Start – Whether to automatically start the animation when the view is shown, or not.
- Clip to Children – Whether to clip the shimmering effect to the children, or to opaquely draw the shimmer on top of the children. Use this if your overall layout contains transparency.
- Colored – Whether you want the shimmer to affect just the alpha or draw colors on-top of the children
- Base Color – If colored is specified, the base color of the content.
- Highlight Color – If colored is specified, the shimmer’s highlight color.
- Base Alpha – If colored is not specified, the alpha used to render the base view i.e. the unhighlighted view over which the highlight is drawn.
- Highlight Alpha – If colored is not specified, the alpha of the shimmer highlight.
- Duration – Time it takes for the highlight to move from one end of the layout to the other.
- Repeat Count – Number of times of the current animation will repeat.
- Repeat Delay – Delay after which the current animation will repeat.
- Repeat Mode – What the animation should do after reaching the end, either restart from the beginning or reverse back towards it.
- Direction – The travel direction of the shimmer highlight: left to right, top to bottom, right to left or bottom to top.
- Dropoff – Controls the size of the fading edge of the highlight.
- Intensity – Controls the brightness of the highlight at the center
- Shape – Shape of the highlight mask, either with a linear or a circular gradient.
- Tilt – Angle at which the highlight is tilted, measured in degrees
- Fixed Width, Height – Fixed sized highlight mask, if set, overrides the relative size value
- Width, Height ratio – Size of the highlight mask, relative to the layout it is applied to.
Example Displays a layout utilising Android Shimmer Library for displaying a loading effect similar to facebook
View Example Post:
- Link : https://github.com/facebook/shimmer-android
- License : BSD
Example AppSnippet :- https://appsnipp.com/facebook-shimmer-animation-example/
NB:- added as separate post for reducing clutter.